Hello guys!

My name is Bruce. I came to Canada alone to study when I was 17, and I lived in Vancouver for four years and it was like a second hometown to me. I finished my high school in Vancouver, then I came to Victoria to get my bachelor degree. This is my 4th year in UVic, and I plan to graduate next June 2025. I can speak Mandarin and English. For this semester, I will be in Victoria all the time, so I am available to meet with my future teammates for the group works. My major is economics and I kind of like my major. I enjoyed my junior year very much, which also allowed me to have a deeper contact with economics.

I enjoy in music and science fiction movie. I also fell in love with photography in the last semester and have been collecting several film cameras. So that’s why AE 319 is also one of my favorite classes in UVic(I highly recommend to take it). Ever since I fell in love with photography, I’ve been obsessed with traveling. If I had to choose a place as my graduation trip destinations, I would choose Iceland without hesitation, because I like the scenery there so much.

According to the study of this week’s material, I think Education has significantly evolved with digital technologies, introducing approaches like distributed and open education, along with the importance of digital literacy and identity. Distributed education allows students to access course materials anytime and anywhere, contrasting with traditional learning that requires physical presence and fixed schedules. While it enhances accessibility for those facing geographical or time constraints, it also demands self-discipline and digital literacy. Personally, I find distributed education valuable but recognize the need for strong organization and focus.

Open education is another significant advancement aimed at removing barriers like cost and access. By providing free learning materials, it promotes inclusivity and equity, creating a level playing field for students worldwide. I appreciate how open educational resources make high-quality education accessible to anyone with an internet connection.

There are many modes of learning exist, including face-to-face, online, and blended formats. Personally, I prefer blended learning as it combines the flexibility of online courses with in-person engagement, keeping me more motivated. However, success in any mode relies on digital literacy; without it, learners struggle to navigate platforms or collaborate effectively. Enhancing my digital literacy has made my studies more efficient.

Lastly, managing one’s digital identity is crucial in today’s professional and educational landscape. Our online presence can significantly influence our careers, as employers increasingly rely on digital profiles to evaluate candidates. I actively curate my online image through platforms like LinkedIn to highlight my skills and achievements, ensuring my professional identity aligns with my career goals.

Shared by: